The days of the sub-$10,000 new car are long behind us, and the days of the sub-$20,000 new car may not be far behind. But if a rock-bottom base price is what you’re looking for, a variety of models still deserve consideration. Many of them also get good gas mileage, which will help keep a lid on ownership costs for as long as you own one.
To help with your cheap-car search, we rounded up the 10 least expensive new cars as of September 2023. They’re ordered by base price from least to most expensive, and all prices include the destination charge, but not any cash incentives or taxes and fees. To make the list useful to as many car shoppers as possible, all prices include an automatic transmission, which bumps the price for some models that otherwise offer a manual. For cars with more than one transmission choice, the EPA-estimated combined mpg rating is for the automatic version.
Cheapest New Cars
1. 2023 Mitsubishi Mirage ES: $17,790
2. 2023 Kia Rio LX: $17,875
3. 2023 Nissan Versa S: $18,745
4. 2023 Kia Forte LX: $20,815
5. 2023 Hyundai Venue SE: $20,985
6. 2023 Kia Soul LX: $21,215
7. 2024 Chevrolet Trax LS: $21,495
8. 2023 Nissan Sentra S: $21,725
9. 2023 Nissan Kicks S: $21,925
10. 2023 Hyundai Elantra SE: $22,065
2023 Mitsubishi Mirage ES
Price: $17,790 (including $1,095 destination)
Combined fuel economy: 39 mpg