The Mercedes-Benz CLS and its AMG-tuned CLS53 variant received a redesign for the 2019 model year, and two model years later, the cars are now gaining the latest in Mercedes’ interior and driver assistance technologies.
Now standard are two side-by-side 12.3-inch digital displays, one for the instrument panel and one for the infotainment system. That system is the latest version of MBUX — Mercedes-Benz User Experience — which uses artificial intelligence and can feature optional augmented-reality-enhanced navigation and optional gesture control.
Also added to the CLS are new driver-assistance technologies. In addition to standard automatic emergency braking with city-speed pedestrian detection, the CLS can be equipped with a cross-traffic collision detection system that can help prevent a crash when turning across oncoming traffic.
Other available features include Active Speed Limit Assist that can adjust the CLS’ speed in response to changes in the speed limit as well as curves, an upcoming exit ramp or a toll booth. Active Stop-and-Go Assist also works to keep the CLS in its lane and at a safe following distance at speeds up to 37 mph.
More From Cars.com:
- 2021 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Coupe, Cabriolet: Got Very Specific Taste? This May Be Just Your Type
- 6 Ways the 2021 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Coupe Co-Ops Your Commute
- 2021 Mercedes-Benz E-Class’ Touch-Sensitive Steering Wheel Could be a Touchy Subject
- 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLC300, AMG 63 Review: Fast and Fancy Family Haulers
- Which Cars Have Self-Driving Features for 2020?
Pricing is not yet available for the CLS450 or AMG CLS53, but both are expected to arrive at dealerships “by late 2020,” according to Mercedes-Benz.
Cars.com’s Editorial department is your source for automotive news and reviews. In line with Cars.com’s long-standing ethics policy, editors and reviewers don’t accept gifts or free trips from automakers. The Editorial department is independent of Cars.com’s advertising, sales and sponsored content departments.
- 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime Plug-In Hybrid Review: Efficiently Quick, Annoyances Aside
- 10 Biggest News Stories of the Month: For New, Used Car Shoppers, American-Made Makes the Grade
- What to Know Before Taking on a 72- or 84-Month Car Loan
- 2020 Volvo V90 Cross Country: 6 Things We Like (and 4 Not So Much)